Duddon Valley Cumbria

"A Jewel in the Crown of the Lake District"
Bank End
Hall Dunnerdale
Cockley Beck
Toggle Menu

Church Services

The main Sunday service at St. Mary’s, Broughton-in-Furness, is at 11am every week throughout the year.
If you prefer something earlier, the main service at St. Cuthbert’s, Kirkby-in-Furness, is at 9.30am.
There is a service every WEDNESDAY at Holy Innocents, Broughton Mills, at 11.30am.
Services are usually followed by refreshments.

Church Services Broughton-in-Furness and surrounding area:

8am – Holy Communion, BROUGHTON
11am – ‘Follow Me’ all-age service, followed by lunch, BROUGHTON
6pm – Evensong, ULPHA

11am – Holy Communion, BROUGHTON
6pm – Evensong, WOODLAND

9.30am – Holy Communion, ULPHA
11am – Lay-led service, BROUGHTON
6pm – Taize, KIRKBY

11am – Holy Communion, BROUGHTON
6pm – Holy Communion (BCP), WOODLAND

11am – Holy Communion, BROUGHTON

The Revd Stephen Tudway
Parishes of Kirkby Ireleth and Broughton & Duddon
Tel: 01229 715259

See local church notice board for other services

Church Fund Raising events are held throughout the year
see local notice boards for more information

St John the Baptist

The Church of St John the Baptist at Ulpha is built on the site of a chapel of ease to the Church of Millom. There is no record of when it was built, but it is known that a Church existed in the 13th Century. The Church is a typical dales Church, constructed from rough local stone, with clear glass windows, and a bell turret containing two bells at the West end. You enter through a wooden lych gate with a slate roof.

The white painted walls have fragments of 18th Century decoration. One fragment is of the Lord’s Prayer. Once it was the custom to paint the Creed, Lord’s Prayer and the Ten Commandments on the chancel walls. There are also two drawings – one bears the name of the Churchwardens in 1793, and the other (below) bears the name of S. Danson who gave the lych gate and the original wooden porch.

The ancient octagonal font is Pre-reformation, and shows sign of once having been locked to prevent the holy water being stolen. There are two recesses in the North and East walls, where holy books were kept.

The chuchyard is divided by the road, the new ground being consecrated in 1916. To the East and South of the original churchyard flows the River Duddon.

Holy Trinity Church

Holy Trinity Church in Seathwaite is a typical dales building, located in a small corner of the beautiful Duddon Valley. The church was built in 1874, replacing an earlier church. All that remains of the earlier church is a Holy Water stoup inside the South wall.

The Church has a simplicity in its furnishings – only the pews, pulpit and lecturn in the nave. Through the chancel arch is a curtained reredos behind the alter. Most of the windows are plain, but the East window is of stained glass – with three lights depicting the Ascending Christ with a pelican and her chicks above.

Holiday Accommodation

Self Catering


Bed and Breakfast


Camping & Camping Barns